I'm getting old and when I reflect on what really matters, I think one of the most important things we can do is accept responsibility for our life. We all make choices and we all face the consequences of those choices good or bad. That's life. We can't blame anyone else for the choices we make.
Rocky mentioned this once to his son. I think he said it far better than I can. We all have to accept responsibility for our own life and stop blaming others if we're not where we want to be. Blaming someone for something that happened 30 years ago isn't heathy. Life is full of good and evil. We have a brain to discern the difference between the two and a heart to chose which course we will take.
Today is Canada Day. We used to be proud to be Canadian. That pride has been greatly diminished. I'm not talking about the brainwashing from the New World Order. That's caused a knee jerk reaction which has been warranted.
Yet the polarization and the continued erosion of our values has diminished us. When I think of what it means to be Canadian I think of the preamble to the Canadian Bill of Rights. I think of he Canadian mosaic. I think of freedom and tolerance. When I say tolerance I mean respect. Respect for others reflects a respect for self. Love thy neighbor as thyself.
The invasion of Lebanon and the Gaza genocide is a defiant violation of God's commandments. Not that it matters. I just say that so we are all clear that God does not support wickedness and he does not condone atrocities.
The algorithms are using extremism to push polarization. To push hate and intolerance. Again when I say tolerance I mean respect. A respect for others and a respect for oneself. Taking responsibility for our life builds self respect.
I've seen some recent statements by Julian Assange attacking Canadian democracy that feel very toxic. Canada is far from perfect but the polarized hate for the nation isn't healthy. It's a bit Tommy Robinson and that I completely reject. They push extremism to justify extremism. What we need is mutual respect and mutual respect begins with self respect not hate and intolerance.

Very well, said, Dennis. I'm with you 100% on the idea that people are responsible for their own decisions and the direction they take in life. I can relate to that from my own experience. I worked as a custodian for a few years. The pay was good, but I'll be honest. It was one of the toughest jobs I've ever had. Long days, physically demanding work, and over time it contributed to some knee issues that I still deal with. On top of that, the environment wasn't always great. Some of the workplace dynamics made it harder than it needed to be, and I didn't always feel respected. But at the end of the day, I also take responsibility for choosing to stay in that situation as long as I did. Last year, I made the decision to leave maintenance work for good and move on to something better for me. No one forced me out. I chose to walk away because it wasn't the right fit for me anymore. And I'm at peace with that decision. It was mine. I didn't announce it or make a big deal out of it. I just moved on and focused on what comes next. Anyway, I'm just using my own experience as an example of what you're talking about: owning your choices, learning from them and adjusting your path when something isn't working anymore.
ReplyDeleteThat's a very good example. I was initially thinking of gang bangers who choose the easy way out but it can also apply to bad jobs or bad relationships.
DeleteWhile we’re on the subject of gang bangers, are you familiar with Taylor James Leclerc? He’s a gang banger with a lengthy criminal record that grew up in a dysfunctional family. Taylor was raised by a single mom who became pregnant when she was in high school. She had two kids. Her daughter turned out normal, but her son became the polar opposite. He dropped out of school and got involved in crime, gangs and drugs. He was in a relationship with some girl, and they both had a daughter together. But for whatever reason, they broke up and she ultimately got custody of the child. Taylor has no custody of his daughter because of his gang banging criminal lifestyle. His ex-girlfriend won’t let him anywhere near their daughter because she was a victim of domestic abuse. He lives somewhere in the interior where he commits crimes and is always in and out of court. He’s well-known to the cops. It’s obvious that he wasn’t raised right but because he’s not a child anymore, he’s responsible for the bad choices that he continues to make. If he doesn’t smarten up and get his head straight, one of two things could happen: he’s either going to murder someone and go to jail for life, or someone will do him in first. Therefore, his daughter may sadly wake up to the awful news that her dad passed away. Life’s what you make of it.
DeleteI haven't heard of him but news reports from 2014 and 2020 show he appears to be a bit messed up. Another example of do good, be good or in that case do better.
DeleteI worked with his mom many years ago. She’s toxic, narcissistic and sick in the head. She’s partly the reason why her son is a total loser and a scumbag. But ultimately, he’s responsible for the bad choices that he continues to make. He’s a below average lowlife on a road to nowhere. I honestly have no sympathy for people like that. The only way these dumb dope fiends will ever get out of gangs are when they end up dead.
DeleteDennis, your post is spot on and incredibly well-written. What do you think makes it so tough for individuals caught up in gang life to break free? Is it the pressure from their peers or a lack of self awareness about the consequences of their actions?
ReplyDeleteI think for most people it's just the money. The money's too good to turn down. It's very high risk. Peter Adiwal is an anomaly but look what he had to do to survive. He had to sell his soul to the Cub pack. He articulated it quite well in Certi2x's murder. These kids think they want to play the game but when the order comes to kill your own guy, what then? If you don't do it, they'll kill you next. There is no loyalty in it at all.
DeleteThat line is from the climax of the 1992 masterpiece Unforgiven. Sheriff Little Bill Daggett (Gene Hackman) says, "I don't deserve this... to die like this. I was building a house". William Munny (Clint Eastwood) coldly replies, "Deserve's got nothin' to do with it".
ReplyDeleteI reckon so !
ReplyDeleteWe are the architects of our own lives, and the choices we make are a reflection of our values and priorities. When we make mistakes, it's essential to take ownership of them, learn from the experience, and use that knowledge to make better decisions in the future.
ReplyDelete