Sunday, November 18, 2018

Harrison Eaglefest



I went kayaking at Harrison Mills today for the Eaglefest. Mid November there are always lots of eagles that come to feed on the rotting Chum after they have spawned. Just like Brackendale from mid December to mid January.



I put in at Kilby and paddled up the river past the bridge where the river gets very wide and shallow. As I was putting in a father with young children asked me where's the best place to see the eagles. Not here I said. Drive over the bridge and go to the golf course. They have a trail to a viewing platform that overlooks where I go in my kayak.



As I was paddling upstream power boats were roaring up the river, a jetski was racing down the river and a freaking helicopter landed at the golf course. I'm like AYFKM? All that noise? Eagles are birds. When you are bird watching you have to be quiet. No wonder all the eagles had dispersed away from the noise.



The weather was a lot nicer this year. Usually it's cold and pouring rain. Today was warm and sunny. Several kayaks were out at my favorite spot where the water gets really shallow and the power boats can't get to. Wherever the salmon carcasses are, that's where you'll see the eagles feeding. When you're in the kayak they're all around you. If you get too close they just fly away but if you keep a comfortable distance they are fine.



There were even some biplanes that kept flying low overhead. I'm like are you serious? What the hell are you going to see from there? All you're doing is making more noise and scaring them away. One year I was in the shallow water and looked up. The sky was filled with eagles soaring. Today, all those planes and helicopters had dispersed them. It really should be a no fly zone.



There was one boat tour in the top picture that was worth taking. They were gliding down the river quietly and the deck was filled with people who were quiet and had binoculars. That was worthwhile. Taking a plane or helicopter is just plain stupid. I prefer paddling with the eagles in my kayak. It's very rejuvenating so it is. Peace. 2011 Trip ~ 2012 Trip

2 comments:

  1. It's a shame there's so much human caused commotion around this spectacular natural display. Some protection is needed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. There are non intrusive ways to share the event.

      Delete

Comments are moderated so there will be a delay before they appear on the blog.