Saturday, September 21, 2024

Spirit Halloween - Fall and the Winds of Change

We were in North Vancouver today and stopped in at Spirit Halloween in Park Royal. In the past I used to dress up as a pirate, even on the picket line but none of the pirate costumes there appealed to me so I picked up an Arctic Yeti costume instead. My daughter always said I look like the abominable snowman on the Rudolf Christmas show. So we're starting a new tradition.

My sister was always big on Halloween decorations. I have several large inflatables now. I have a big dragon and a Trex crushing a pumpkin the kids like. Last year we picked up some Halloween Pokemon cards and the kids loved them. They're already asking me about them so we're going to have to pick up some more this year. The Syrian kids love Halloween now.
My son in law is from central America where it is summer all year long. Most of us around here see that as a dream come true. I do like the seasons though. We went to Lynn Canyon and saw some of the leaves are starting to change colour and fall. The Canadian flag is a red maple leaf from the fall. I never clued into that before. Fall ushers in the magic of winter and all the amazing winter sports we love. I'm really looking forward to getting a Timbersled when we move to Alberta.

We stopped off at Ambleside beach. It wasn't as busy as summer. I love watching the sailboats. I always thought when I retire I'd get a sailboat. I think that's one thing I'll miss but everything has it's time and place. When I was young we used to see guys on the beach with campfires and driftnets for the herring. Years later an Italian guy I worked with said those were the Italians. A bottle of wine and a campfire on the beach cooking herring. You don't see that around here any more. No fires on the beach allowed. Too many rules now. I think in Tofino you can still have fires on the beach if they're below the tide line and you use driftwood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated so there will be a delay before they appear on the blog.