Friday, November 11, 2016

Macklemore speaks out on Addiction



As we have heard in the news, the US crack epidemic of the /80's has been replaced with a new modern day heroin epidemic that is sweeping the United States and infiltrating the middle class. We have seen pictures of parents overdosing in their cars with their child sitting in the back seat. This tragedy is the result of doctors overprescribing painkillers. People can't afford the painkillers so they turn to heroin which is cheaper. Another tragic result of the invasion of Afghanistan. Here at home Macklemore speaks out on Addiction. Peace.

A shout out to Leonard Cohen "Well, maybe there is a God above, but all that I've ever learned from love was how to shoot someone who outdrew you. It's not a cry that you hear tonight, and it is not some pilgram who claims to have seen the light. It's a cold and it is a broken Hallelujah."

2 comments:

  1. The stats are that 80% of people who become heroin addicts, started on prescription medication. I'm not really sure what I think on that. Some years ago, I broke my ankle. I was prescribed Oxycontin. I took them as prescribed. I didn't find myself wanting to abuse them. Actually, after taking them for awhile, I didn't like being on them, because they tended to make me sleep all day, and be up all night. But they are great pain killers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. Perhaps that's one of your strengths. I think back pain is a little different. I have been fortunate enough not to have had to deal with chronic back pain but many others aren't so fortunate.

      I have a good friend who is a vet from Alberta. Many years ago a bull pinned him against a fence and broke his back. He is still in daily pain to this day. He's tough as nails and he just deals with it but I can see how it would be easy to get addicted to painkillers if you have chronic back pain.

      Delete

Comments are moderated so there will be a delay before they appear on the blog.