Saturday, March 18, 2023

Iceberg season has now begun



Thursday morning it was minus one on the ride into work on my motorcycle. I was thinking it's half way through March. When's it going to start getting warmer out? It will. Usually when I ride a full season and make it to March I can breathe a sigh of relief and say I made it. This March is still a little bit chilly but we are sure grateful for the awesome snow conditions on the local mountains.

The time change has pushed to sunrise back a bit so it's still dark out. Thursday morning was clear and cold but you could see a magnificent crescent moon on the horizon. Muslims use the crescent moon as their symbol. Usually we get all excited about a full moon but a crescent moon looks cool too. I think it's symbolic of the curve on their swords. The Sikhs have curved swords as well. I'm more into the straight swords myself but I certainly do respect different styles.

Yesterday a coworker from Newfoundland showed me on his phone iceberg season has started back home since I was asking about it. I'd really like to see that. I've lived on the west coast all my life and we never see icebergs here. I wonder why that it. Maybe it's because Greenland is so far south it ices up during winter and melts during summer. All I know is that we don't get them out here and I'd love to see them. There's a website that tracks them so you know when to visit.

Sometimes polar bears come down on the icebergs and start roaming the countryside. That is wild. I'm fine with black bears but I will not f*ck with grizzlies or polar bears. I remember visiting the Maritimes when I was a kid. They have fireflies out there. We don't have them on the west coast. Those are cool too. After the Alaska trip I want to ride out to Halifax and Newfoundland.

3 comments:

  1. Grizzly may eat you. Polar always will if they can.


    ReplyDelete
  2. I am from Newfoundland, living there now. We would love to have you come this way and write all about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's definitely on my bucket list. Maybe I'll fly out to Halifax and rent a bike from there then ride up. That would be a whole lot easier. A coworker showed me a thing you can pay monthly to get credits toward renting a motorcycle.

      Delete

Comments are moderated so there will be a delay before they appear on the blog.