Saturday, March 25, 2023

The Way of the Lion Martial Arts Society

Yesterday I was going through some old boxes and found the paperwork for a nonprofit society I created called the Way of the Lion Martial Arts Society. That was a long time ago when I taught the martial arts in Surrey. I always wanted to put a web site up but wasn't sure how to do it because I didn't want to train trolls how to beat people up. The old domain I had it on expired.

The philosophy behind the martial arts is to preserve and protect not control and dominate. You might miss that if you just focus on the UFC. So today I posted a new web site describing my martial arts background and my journey in that study. I even explained how I got my ass kicked at the Royal Towers in New Westminster by a boxer when I was a kid before I went on to New York City. It's a funny story and a lesson well learned that started me on my journey.

Nowadays a lot of boxers obsess about being undefeated. To me that just means unchallenged. Learning how to overcome defeat is an important life skill. Life teaches us things. Sometimes lessons learned the hard way are lessons we don't soon forget. The thing that makes East Van fighters so tough is that they've been beaten before and they're not afraid to lose. Clay Rouehce formed his own martial art as well. He started off with a blackbelt in taekwondo. I did not. We both kind of arrived at the same place but approached it from different places. Onegaishimasu.

Update: Jay won his fight at the Grand Villa in Burnaby on Saturday by TKO in the 2nd round.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I'll bite...
    Why did you create a non profit society? Where was the money going to come from, and where was it going to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was no money going in or out. It was non profit. I taught for free and they performed acts of community service in return. I formed the society so they couldn't shut us down and to register the name. I thought about doing some fundraising to get proper grappling mats but forming a registered charity was too complicated so I didn't bother. I just made mats out of cheap carpet and underlay instead. As always, everything was out of pocket. My pocket.

      Delete

Comments are moderated so there will be a delay before they appear on the blog.