Tuesday, February 28, 2023

The Dalai Lama's escape from Communism

Time Magazine is reporting that "Asingle image can certainly evoke strong memories. This 1959 TIME cover photo and the accompanying story of my escape from Tibet brings movingly back to me the tragedy of my land and of my people. The tragedy of Tibet has yet to be resolved. But my becoming a refugee in India brought with it many hidden blessings."

"For one, the moment I was able to cross over from Tibet to India on March 31, 1959, I realized the value of freedom. Since then, I have been the longest-­staying guest of the Indian government, enjoying every possible liberty. In addition, India has provided me, and those other Tibetans who managed to escape, the freedom to preserve and promote Tibetan identity and our culture of peace and compassion, and to share them with the entire world."

Yet "the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) that drove him out of Tibet is working to co-opt Buddhist principles - as well as the succession process itself." Crimes against Tibet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated so there will be a delay before they appear on the blog.