Friday, October 20, 2023

Jupiter's Travels in Camera

Moving on up, I just received a new book, Jupiter's Travels in Camera. This book is a real treasure. It's a photographic record of Ted Simon's first trip around the world on a motorcycle which he called Jupiter's Travels. I ordered it from his website. That's kind of what I wanted to do. I just wanted to take pictures on my trip but he went far beyond where I want to go.

I mentioned that October 16th 2023 was the 50th anniversary of his first trip around the world on a triumph motorcycle. In a recent mailing Ted Simon said "I forgot that the fiftieth anniversary of my ride would also be the fiftieth anniversary of the Yom Kippur war which started on the day I rode off. Everything my ride and my books were about; promoting understanding, bringing people together, celebrating life and the world we live in, has been contradicted, buried and obliterated under thousands of corpses and infinite pain. What a tragedy! What are we to make of it? Prejudice, hate, dogma, vainglory, all feeding off ignorance, seem to be rising everywhere, just when our world can least afford it. I will go on, but not today. Next week."

Ted Simon is a good man. I look forward to hearing more about his journeys and the lessons he learned from the places he visited and the people he met. He has a magnificent legacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated so there will be a delay before they appear on the blog.