Friday, October 7, 2022

A Salute to the Maritimes and Newfoundland

I just wanted to pause and give a shout out to the East coast of Canada. I had heard that they were bracing for hurricane Fiona, but I didn't know where to look for real information.

Core Logic reported that "Hurricane Fiona, the first major hurricane of the 2022 season, made landfall in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland on Saturday. Severe winds and rain are impacting Canada’s Atlantic Coast, leaving hundreds of thousands without electricity and destroying homes and businesses." I think Newfoundland got hit the worst. That was last weekend.

Although I'm from BC, I recognize that Ontario and Quebec has a much higher population than we do. I also recognize that although the Maritimes has an even smaller population, it is important. Canada is a place of geographical diversity from sea to sea. We're all different but we're all part of one whole. The hand isn't more important than the foot. Everyone is important.

The Irish Proclamation states "The Republic guarantees religious and civil liberty, equal rights and equal opportunities to all its citizens, and declares its resolve to pursue the happiness and prosperity of the whole nation and of all its parts" including the arctic and the far north. "Cherishing all the children of the nation equally and oblivious of the differences carefully fostered by an alien government, which have divided a minority from the majority in the past."

My mother was from Amherst, Nova Scotia and my father's mother was from Woodstock, New Brunswick. My mother took me on a trip back east when I was young. When I retire I can move anywhere I want and the thought of moving to the east coast is certainly tempting. The cost of land here is insane. As a result, the quality of life is diminished. Western Highway.

I remember my mother telling me about the bluenose. A sailing ship from Nova Scotia that was featured on the dime. Evidently last year was the 100th anniversary of the Bluenose and to commemorate the event, the Canadian mint made a colored coin with blue water.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated so there will be a delay before they appear on the blog.