Friday, July 12, 2024

Taming of the Shrew in Maple Ridge

I saw a live Shakespeare play in Maple Ridge today. The Emerald Pig Theatre Society put on a live performance of the Taming of the Shrew at the Bard on the Bandstand which is the Gazibo in Memorial Peace Park on 224th off Dewdney Trunk Road. It was really well done and it was free. They sold raffle tickets and asked for a food bank donation. It will be playing there tomorrow as well June 12th at 7:00 PM. July 18, 19 and 20 it will be playing at Spirit Square in Pitt Meadows.

Shakespeare is old school in old English. Some are comedies and others are tragedies but you have to remember the comedies humor is from a different time and a different place however I did find it very funny. I didn't realize what this one was about.

It's about a father who has two daughters. The older daughter is wild and angry while the younger daughter is fair and desirable. Everyone wants to marry the younger daughter but the father can't let anyone court her until his older daughter is married. So they pay a con man to Tame the Shrew so to speak and marry the older sister so they can have a crack at the younger sister.

There was a younger disabled kid in an electric wheelchair that was dressed up and joined the cast. The ear to ear grim on his face from being able to participate in the play was priceless.

I wasn't sure if it's a con man who falls in love with her like the movie How to Lose a Guy in 10 days or if he actually shafts her. It kind of reminds of the John Wayne movie the Quiet Man. My father got me to watch that movie when I was young and it scared the life out of me. I dated a girl like that once and she scared the life out of me. I guess I still have a few scars from that : )

When I was young my parents used to take me to the theatre under the Stars in Stanley Park. I'm told they still do that. Live theatre is so rare now. It's nice to see people keeping the tradition alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated so there will be a delay before they appear on the blog.