Friday, June 2, 2023

Paddling down the Capilano river

Obviously this isn't me. I follow a guy on youtube and saw he posted a video paddling down the Capilano river from the fish hatchery. I used to go there as a kid. I had no idea those calm deep parts were there. All you see from the overpass is very shallow rocky rapids. Last time I was at the fish hatchery filming for my video blog I saw a guy with a whitewater kayak and I asked him are you putting in here? Yup he said. I was like good on ya. I just paddle in lakes, streams and the ocean. I've never kayaked rapids. You obviously need a different kind of kayak for that.

I did try some moving water in a voyageur canoe once. That was pretty awesome. We were in the Fraser river this side of Hells Gate. Thankfully I was with an experienced group of paddlers who knew what they were doing - the Fort Langley canoe club. I saw my first whirlpool and I was like whoa! That will suck you down to the ground. Then a guy yells out rollers on the right. What are rollers I ask? He pointed to the rapids and I was like whoah! Are we going down that? The lady in front of me shakes her head like I'm an idiot, says no and keeps paddling. It was very cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated so there will be a delay before they appear on the blog.