Saturday, September 24, 2022

Sunset at Whitecliff and the Eternal Perspective

Tonight I rode down to Whitecliff to watch the sunset. I climbed down and sat on the exact same spot my father and I would sit when I was a young boy. My father was an avid photographer and liked to take pictures of the sunset. We'd always watch the sunset behind Bowen Island.
To the right you can see the mountains along the inlet towards Squamish.
To the left you can see the mountains on Vancouver Island. It's very peaceful. It reminds me of Aswan in Egypt. We sailed down the Nile in a felucca. That was awesome. The tour started in Aswan. We explored the markets with ancient stone ovens then met at a park to watch the sunset behind the hills overlooking the Nile. It was very serene and picturesque.

I chuckled at the though of scheduling in a stop to watch the sunset in our busy day. That's something my father would do and is something we often overlook. Who has time to watch the sunset? I remember a benediction Dr Schuller used to say about that day in which there is no sunset and no dawning. I always used to think that would be a sad time without sunsets or sunrises. I love catching the sunrise from a mountain top.

In Ireland we used to jog on the beach in Bray at sunrise. It was somewhat inspiring. Wherever you are it's always good to make time to watch the sunset or get up early to watch a new day dawn. It helps to put things into perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated so there will be a delay before they appear on the blog.