Sunday, November 26, 2023

Vancouver Christmas Market and Fly over Iceland

We went to the Vancouver Christmas market and watched a movie at the fly Over Canada theater at Canada Place today. I haven't been to either for several years. I remember seeing some kind of 3D movie there once when my kids were young. We saved the Soar with Santa one for December and did the fly over Iceland one instead. We thought it was timely since Iceland is waiting for a volcano to erupt. It was awesome.

First we went into a room that was kind of Christmassy and I thought are you kidding me? We have to stand for this? I thought it was going to be like a movie in a theater. Then I realize it was just the preshow. Then we go into another room and I'm like AYFKM - we have to stand for this. Then I realize this is just a waiting room. They tell us to wear the seat belts and I'm like yeah whatever. I guess it's like a pretend your on an airplane kind of thing.

So we strap ourselves in and all of a sudden the wall in front of us comes down and the screen opens right up. I think the bench seat moved forward over the screen. That's what it felt like at least. Then it was like wow. This isn't a movie this is a virtual voyage. I used to take my kids to those at the Planetarium. Seat belts are necessary. You can't experience that on your phone.

The chair lilts forward and side to side so it does feel like you're flying through the air. At several points it felt like we were going to fall out of our chair or hit out feet on the mountains and glaciers as were raced over top them. It was impressive. I'm glad we ate afterwards. I did feel a bit quessey at some points. I'm glad we didn't do two back to back. It was better than I had expected. Next generation 4D with mist of water. I think we could smell grass. I think the 4D thing adds smells to the movie. It was worth seeing and I look forward to soaring with Santa next.
We got a seasons pass at the German Christmas Market. There are lots of nice booths where you can buy hand crafted decorations but there is also a ton of food booths. Today were got the all beef bratwurst and the hurricane potatoes which are a potato on a stick cut in a swirl and deep fried. They're kind of like a healthy potato chip. I'm not really a sauerkraut kind of guy but I love goulash and spaetzle. I don't normally buy those because I can make them as I did my apprenticeship at a German restaurant when I was a kid.

They serve their goulash in a bread bowl which is cool. I tried the mulled wine one year and I had to dump it in a planter. Sugary red wine. That's an oxymoron. Red wine isn't supposed to be sugary. Some people like it. That's not my thing. I did really liked the dark German beer one year but I'm back on the wagon again so I didn't have any this time.

I haven't really celebrated Christmas in a while. It's not because I'm Jehovah's Witness. I just didn't really have a reason to. This year we're going to get out and do stuff. I see they have Christmas lights up at the Capilano suspension bridge. It's a bit pricey but worth while if you get a seasons pass. Just like the gondola on Grouse or the Sea to Sky Gondola. Season's passes are worth it. We're also going to see the Winter Festival at the PNE this year.

8 comments:

  1. Celebrate what we still can! It will bring us some much needed joy.
    Pretty dark world since 2019.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah but at least now there are no restrictions. We can go out and do what we want.

      Delete
  2. Wish I lived close enough to experience these cool adventures. I enjoyed reading your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everywhere you go there's something cool to see. We're all frantically grasping for a reason to stay here now that the cost of housing is completely out of control.

      Delete
  3. You're not leaving are you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone who lives in Metro Vancouver wants to leave:
      https://youtu.be/l3LFML_pxlY?feature=shared&t=171

      Delete
  4. I would never in a million years have guessed you are a Jehovah's Witness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I'm not. I respect the freedom of religions but somehow I don't see going around and telling all the good people in the world not to vote in elections is god's work. Me thinks that's what the devil wants not what god wants.

      Delete

Comments are moderated so there will be a delay before they appear on the blog.