Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Commuting in Surrey Snow

It had snowed a fair bit last night in Surrey and Metro Vancouver. Riding in to work in the morning was a bit sketchy. The roads in Langley were fine but the roads in Surrey were horrible. A thin sheet of compacted slush was like a sheet of ice. I guess Brenda Locke doesn't believe in snow plows. It had warmed up above freezing as the day went on so the roads were fine going home. Tonight is going to drop below zero and all the roads are wet from the slush and melting snow. That means lots of black ice in the morning. Ice is worse than snow.

9 comments:

  1. Dude you are crazy driving a bike around on that. Did you see any other motorcycles on the road?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No but when I was coming down Seymour mountain a couple of weeks ago I did see a motorcycle going up the mountain with a snowboard attached to it. That was awesome.

      Delete
  2. That's fucking awesome man! Coming from Quebec I always new bikers could ride almost year round here in Van city but you Sir set up the bar pretty high..lol..you be careful out there:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure couldn't do it in Quebec. Our winters are much milder here. Someone mentioned about a young couple from the UK who rode across Canada on motorcycles in the winter. That's a lot harder to do back east. I cheat. I put rope on my tires.

      Delete
  3. Ah, rope. Good trick, never heard of that before. Still.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An old timer from Prince George told me about that so I've been doing it for a few years now. It works great. I'm like a little bulldozer in the snow. The only problem is the rope wears off on dry pavement:
      https://gangstersout.blogspot.com/2018/02/riding-in-vancouver-snow.html

      Delete
    2. I run studded tires

      Delete
    3. I've heard of people using studded tires to race motorcycles on ice. In the Lower mainland we could have snow in the morning and dry pavement in the afternoon.

      Delete

Comments are moderated so there will be a delay before they appear on the blog.