Sunday, February 19, 2012
7 year old in hospital after accidental GHB overdose
A seven-year-old girl from Langley is expected to make a full recovery after ingesting what police believe was the date-rape drug. On Saturday night, the child was found unconscious, possibly from a drug overdose, at her home in Langley and was rushed to Surrey Memorial Hospital.
RCMP Cpl. Holly Marks said police believe the girl may have ingested GHB by accident. "It is possible that it was contained in a water bottle, that she would have drank it innocently," Marks told ctvbc.ca. "I don't know why or what purpose it served in the residence."
Police have interviewed the girl's mother and a man who is currently staying at their home. The Serious Crime Unit will continue the investigation to determine whether criminal charges will be recommended.
“The thought that this drug would have been laying around a residence where a seven-year-old girl could pick it up is obviously disturbing,” said Marks. Indeed, what was that drug doing in the home at all? This drug is much to available in BC.