Sunday, April 28, 2013

Western Highway



Last day of skiing today. Seymour were selling lift tickets for ten bucks. Saw a couple of deer on the way up the mountain today. All this talk about New Brunswick and Nova Scotia has got me thinking. I have a lot of ancestors buried in some of those small towns. I’m saddened to hear these drug dealing hillbillies are turning that wonderful land into just another sea of greed and corruption. Hummers and trips to Mexico from exploiting others in the drug trade. It’s a shameful life so it is.

Here on the west coast we don’t have many folk songs so we don’t. Not like in the Maritimes. Yet one we do have is Western Highway by Gerry O'Beirne. Rita and Mary Rankin sang it on their Lantern burn CD. Here’s another couple on youtube that did a fine job of it as well.

Changing the words slightly I have to declare: I am a rider on a western highway, from the mountains unto the sea. I’m just a rider on a western highway but right now I am free. Free to think. Free to speak. Free to act. Free to choose. Free to move. Sailors’ rights. The seas be ours and by the powers where we will we'll roam. Word. Hoist the colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated so there will be a delay before they appear on the blog.